At Wesleyan's 2009 commencement, Anna Quindlen reminded graduates of Samuel Beckett's bold proclamation, "To find a form that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now." Instead of tidying the mess, or assuring graduates that things were not as messy as they appeared in the chaos of that May, she simply said,

We leave you a mess. And I won’t apologize for that. Instead I want you to see it for what it is: an engraved invitation to transformation. Certainty is dead. Long live the flying leap.

A long-time fan of Anna Quindlen's, I especially loved that last declarative: long live the flying leap.

And so, here goes my flying leap. As I travel to Japan, back home to run my first math camp for middle-school girls, and then to France, I will be flying in more ways than one.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Cuisine courage

I'm rounding out my time by myself, which has been a circuit between the three largest cities in France, with a trip to Lyon, about halfway between Marseille and Paris. Considered the gastronomic capital of France, it is quite a different feel from Marseille: more pig cuisine, more hipsters, less sun. In general, the French people I've spoken with would agree that it is "plus tranquille."

Speaking of cuisine, it is only fair that I give it some attention: I AM in France, after all. Marseille represents a cool mix of Provençal style with north African: I went from papetoun, a tower of goat cheese and tomato, doused in olive oil and basil with olive tapanade in the middle, to a tajine of chicken. Les pates au pistou is like pasta with pesto and alfredo sauce, another classic from Provence. And today, I tried a popular dish from Lyon, unfamiliar to me at the time. I grew suspicious when I dug in, and then did the background research: le boudin is black pudding, sometimes called blood pudding. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it was not bad at all. I am what one might call a reformed vegetarian.

Other than that, I'm enjoying croissants for breakfast, and small amounts of strong coffee as often as I can. In fact, I'm planning to search for one now, before I head off to explore Lyon's Musée des Beaux-Arts!

1 comment:

  1. I am oh so jealous of your culinary experiences in France. I would have to say French is absolutely my favorite cuisine.

    ReplyDelete