At Wesleyan's 2009 commencement, Anna Quindlen reminded graduates of Samuel Beckett's bold proclamation, "To find a form that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now." Instead of tidying the mess, or assuring graduates that things were not as messy as they appeared in the chaos of that May, she simply said,

We leave you a mess. And I won’t apologize for that. Instead I want you to see it for what it is: an engraved invitation to transformation. Certainty is dead. Long live the flying leap.

A long-time fan of Anna Quindlen's, I especially loved that last declarative: long live the flying leap.

And so, here goes my flying leap. As I travel to Japan, back home to run my first math camp for middle-school girls, and then to France, I will be flying in more ways than one.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

La route des vins d'Alsace

J made the statement early on today: "We could not have picked a better day for this." "This" was our bike trip from Seléstat to Colmar, along La route des vins d'Alsace, and he was completely right.

We woke up at 7, in time for a lovely breakfast at the hotel, then pedalled over to the train station, where we boarded our train for Seléstat, a town about 20 minutes south of Strasbourg. We quickly happened upon two locals who were able to direct us to une piste cyclable, a bicycle route, but their expertise was not the best part of the interaction. The coolest part, for me, was that they spoke Alsatian, a mixture of French and German that is the regional dialect. They spoke to me in French (in which I have regained my confidence, the product of many sustained conversations during the days I was by myself, as well as a few well-placed compliments), but would consult with each other in a language I kind of understood, but mostly did not. I was so happy I got the chance to hear it.

Then J and I were on our way, zooming through acres and acres of vinyards, corn, and sunflowers. We stopped in Bergheim around 11 to have a degustation with a lovely man, who inherited his vinyard and winery from his father. Three sweet sips of white wine later, we got back on the road with a bottle of our favorite in my basket. We wandered through Ribeauvillé, and then headed up into the foothills, where the biking got a little harder, but the views got even more impressive. We finally hit the brakes in Colmar around 4, unable to believe how beautiful the entire ride had been. Between our aching quads and the bottle of white that we neatly put away while sitting under various trellises and sprawled on lawns through the trip, we we able to soundly sleep slumped-over in our seats on the train home. Now we have showered away our grime, and eaten a serious dinner, and are calling it a night. Another early wake-up call tomorrow, for our 7 am train to Caen!

No comments:

Post a Comment