At Wesleyan's 2009 commencement, Anna Quindlen reminded graduates of Samuel Beckett's bold proclamation, "To find a form that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now." Instead of tidying the mess, or assuring graduates that things were not as messy as they appeared in the chaos of that May, she simply said,

We leave you a mess. And I won’t apologize for that. Instead I want you to see it for what it is: an engraved invitation to transformation. Certainty is dead. Long live the flying leap.

A long-time fan of Anna Quindlen's, I especially loved that last declarative: long live the flying leap.

And so, here goes my flying leap. As I travel to Japan, back home to run my first math camp for middle-school girls, and then to France, I will be flying in more ways than one.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Deux étoiles, minimum

Sitting in the lobby of the THREE star hotel that J and I have decided upon for our stay in Strasbourg, France's most German city. I am supremely content with these accomodations, which are a departure from our original plan, and respresent the second time this week that I've privileged cleanliness over cost. While travelling alone, it made sense to stay in hostels (and I found one EXCELLENT one in Marseille, called Vertigo), since I was often able to meet and hang with people there. However, now that J and I have met up, we've made a collective decision to direct some funding towards pristine accomodations.

One change of plans from earlier this week, which also landed me a sweet spot to sleep, was a trip to Dijon. I spent less than 24 hours there, but enjoyed a good run in one of the several parks, as well as an afternoon at the Musée des Beaux-Arts, where I fell hard for an artist named Picquart, whose style reminded me of Chagall in form and Gauguin in color. From Dijon (where, by the way, I did make a point of buying mustard), I made my way to Paris to meet up with J and a friend of his.

Now we are enjoying the very different feel of Strasbourg and are excited for a day-long bicycle trip tomorrow, from Sélestat south through Haut-Rhin to Colmar, along La Route des Vin, or the Wine Road. We are also planning a foray into French cinema tonight, and are looking forward to testing our comprehension skills with a movie called Le premier qui l'a dit, or The first one who said it. Neither of us cares too much about the plot, which may end up being a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment